About the scheme
What will you do?
The NHS Digital Graduate Scheme is a unique multidisciplinary programme teaming you with experts in the essential digital health skills and knowledge that drive NHS Digital’s mission.
On your graduate scheme, you will complete four six-month rotations in areas that could include:
- product development
- cyber security
- IT operations
- data services
- platforms and infrastructure
You can find out more about our teams and our organisation structure here.
Whilst we are working virtually at the moment, the majority of these roles are likely to be based in Leeds and there may be an opportunity for you to work in London dependent on your assignment.
Wherever you are, you'll be doing something that matters.
Salary & benefits
What do we offer?
You will join NHS Digital on a two-year fixed-term contract starting at a salary of £24,907. During your scheme, we will work with you to develop and enhance your skills and capabilities, ensuring we bring out the best in you. At NHS Digital, we see our graduates as future leaders and influential specialists.
If you successfully complete the graduate scheme, this may place you at a salary of c. £38,890.
You will also have access to a range of benefits including:
- annual leave starting at 27 days per annum plus statuary bank holidays
- an excellent contributory pension scheme
- a flexible approach to working
- NHS discount that can be used at a range of retailers and restaurants!
How we'll support you
How we'll support your development
You will get a blend of specialist learning and development activities covering technical and leadership training, including:
- agile working - for example, professional scrum developer
- cloud technologies - for example, AWS cloud practitioner
- specialist skills - for example, Splunk, cybersecurity
- presenting, writing and verbal communication skills
What we're looking for
What are we looking for?
We are looking for people who are interested in digital, dedicated to professional development and have a passion for making a difference.
- you'll have (or be expecting) a 2:1 undergraduate degree in computer science or maths (or a closely related subject) or a Master's degree within a relevant field
- you'll be a pragmatic problem solver, always curious in your approach to your work
- you'll be flexible and adaptable in a fast-moving environment
- you'll be passionate about improving the lives of others through data and technology
- you'll have the ability to efficiently and effectively work in multidisciplinary teams
Please note that unfortunately at this time, NHS Digital is unable to offer visa sponsorship to any candidates who will require it within the next five years.
What you'll get in return
What you'll get in return
- defined and clear progression routes, whatever your journey
- support and mentoring as your career develops
- a varied portfolio of experience delivering with multi-disciplinary agile teams
- a strong early talent community that support each other as they progress and develop
- a vibrant, connected and collaborative range of diversity and inclusion staff networks that support and promote the interests of all of our staff
- an organisation that, from top to bottom, values diverse talents, experiences and skills and uses these to improve health care
Learning skills that matter
"Since joining NHS Digital I’ve learnt to code in several different languages which enables me to analyse the huge amount of healthcare data we collect."
Work that affects lives
"The coronavirus work was intense but immensely rewarding. Whatever you contribute affects people, and you can use that as a source of motivation for wanting to do better, chase leads and work that little bit extra."
Developing yourself and your career
"We have a culture that enables you to suggest ideas and run with them and gives you exposure to the wider industry."
Step 1: apply online
Fill in our application form, answer a few questions, and submit your CV
Step 2: we'll be in touch
If you look like a good fit, we'll get in touch to talk through your interest in the scheme, and what skills and experience you can bring
Step 3: assessment centre
If you're what we're looking for, we'll invite you to an assessment centre. At the assessment centre, you'll do individual and group tasks, and meet some of the people from our business.
After the assessment, we'll notify the successful candidates, ready to start in September 2021.